Monday, July 6, 2009

My Girls, My Goals


My girls are amazing. It’s great to watch them learn and grow. With four years between them I find myself sometimes wondering if my eldest used to do things my youngest is now doing. Though I’m pretty certain that her catch-phrases weren’t ‘wick, wick’ and ‘oh dear’, and I don’t think she used to say ‘pardon me’ voluntarily after burping. I did wonder today if that had anything to do with her hearing loss. Having said all of that I’m so amazed to watch my daughter learn to read and start on basic math. She is a true joy to me, both of them are.

There are moments thought when I wish I could provide better for my girls. You know give up the dreams and creativity and focus on trying to get bigger and better promotions work wise. And should my hubby do the same? These are questions we consider on a regular basis, though I’m sure his parents don’t believe we do. The thing is we could try that path but from experience it would only result in us feeling more stressed and more grumpy.

However when I step back and change the glasses through which I look at my life I realise we have so much. The girls have so much. And my frustration at not being where I wish I was career wise is mostly the thing that keeps me pushing on. I want my girls to know that they can do and be everything they were created to be, but at the same time they need to know that they shouldn’t expect it to be just given to them. To achieve goals and be the best person you can takes effort, and yes even sacrifice.

Push on, pursue and dare to dream, then put your hands to the rock, push your shoulder into it and move those obstacles.

No comments: