Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Nerd In Me Is Doomed

Things just seem to have crossed my path this week that beg to be blogged about. The Vatican, the state of Australian politics, the arts scene in WA. The one though I really want to focus on is the Westboro Baptist Church. You may or may not have heard of these people and I should clarify they aren't affiliated with the Baptist Churches organisation.
These people protest at funerals of US soldiers because they died fighting for a country that defends gays. They are obviously anti-gay amongst other things, and ridiculously narrow minded. It seems they are only happy when picking on someone.
Now they have turned their attention to the geeks of this world. They have issued a statement about how nerds, especially those who read comic books are idolatrous - worshipping at the altar of Batman and Green Lantern.

"It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."

This just goes to show how out of touch some people can be and it certainly opens the door to many a joke or jibe about God being a made up figure. Now I know faith gets far more bad press than good and I have no doubt that won't change. Good doesn't equate to good ratings and more it seems we prefer stories that make others appear to be less than what we are.
Thing is the simple fact these people profess to believe in the same God I do is simply embarrassing. (Even though I'm sure there are those out there who find me embarrassing).
The difference is I don't preach hate. Can they not see how destructive hate is, how corrupting? Hate pulls down and tears apart.
On a final note I would like to add I know many who read comics, I've been known to read a few and I don't think God hates me because of it. I'd also like to point out that those I know who are comic readers are under no impression that Batman is real...Deadpool maybe. Anyway it makes me
wonder who is more able to recognise reality - those claiming the nerds are bad because they want Batman to save them, or those who know he is just a fictional character.

To read the statement you can find it here
http://www.asylum.com/2010/07/16/westboro-baptist-church-picket-comic-con/?sms_ss=facebook

No comments: