Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sad Satisfations

I went out the other night to watch my hubby play. I do that periodically. I love watching him play and I like dancing. I really like spending that time with him. Inevitably though I end up shaking my head at what I see around me. It’s not that I ever really see anything new, rather what I see is incredibly sad. Now this isn’t going to be a piece on the evils of drink or dancing, I enjoy both on occasion.

It’s more about the screaming of souls. The silent voices that seem as clear to me as flashing neon lights flickering. ‘Look at me!’ they say. ‘I’m someone. I want to be loved, admired, wanted’.

We are looking for a particular package and if we can’t find it we can settle for whatever is available right now. Is it a sign of the fast food culture we live in that we fool ourselves into thinking that momentary gratification has value. The sad truth is that it usually doesn’t, not if we’re honest. It often leaves us feeling empty because we are then even more aware of what we don’t have.

It makes me sad for all the people who sell themselves short, who believe they don’t deserve the real thing, and for those who try to convince themselves that everything is fine and they don’t want a safe place to truly be themselves.  

Seeing that when I see my hubby in his work environment brings home extra strong just how blessed I am and I wouldn’t change that for anything. Thank you babe for loving me, rough bits, pointy edges and all.

1 comment:

HisFireFly said...

When I was living a much different life than I am today, and spent much time in smokey clubs, I too noticed the desperation around me and felt saddened at the panic in the eyes of those who were still alone near closing time.
I need to find Jesus before I found my husband, and thank God daily for His patience as He waited for me to turn to Him.
Well said, quite well said.