Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kiddy Pageants

Kiddie beauty pageants are this weeks pet peeve.
Plenty of people are not too happy that this piece of Americana is making it's way to Australia, and yes I am one of them.
I have two young girls and while I'm happy for them to play dress-up and wear make-up for fun I face a fairly consistent battle to convince them they don't need dresses or make up or high heels to be beautiful. This idea of beauty is not one they get from me, I don't wear a lot of make-up or spend much on clothes, I always tell them they are beautiful no matter what. So where does it come from?
I don't think any one thing is to blame but I have to admit to trying to keep them away from toys like Bratz dolls and music video clips. The sad reality is that while I would love to protect my girls from all this junk it just isn't possible. They hear about it from their friends, other parents don't have my concerns or sometimes even think that these things make no difference to their daughters growth.
However we are seeing so many young people struggle with their self-esteem and own identity. Polls telling us this is a problem are really nothing new, stories about 8 year olds getting waxed and botoxed on the other hand... It sounds like it should be a joke, but sadly I don't think it is.
Honestly I would like to know what message the parents think they are passing to their daughters, and not only them but the boys their age as well. Our children should be allowed to be children; leave the heels and make-up and fake tans and false teeth to others.
I cannot see how these kind of pageants are good for our girls. How anyone could look at them and not think they are a harmful addition to a highly visually stimulated and sexualised society, I just don't know.
Beauty isn't in caked on make-up, painted on tans, false teeth and lashes. Beauty comes from confidence and confidence comes from knowing you are loved always. How about we put the time and money into ensuring our girls use and develop skills and talents to take them to the top of what ever it is they dream of achieving. Where they are valued for who they are not how fake they can be.

No comments: