Monday, June 1, 2009

Chk, Chk, Boom

I debated about writing this, mostly because I don’t want to give this girl any further publicity but this morning something I heard tipped me over the edge. The fraudster who is the ‘chk chk boom’ girl is possibly going to be offered a job on a current affairs show. I don’t watch a lot of current affairs shows so why would it bother me you ask? Well I’m going to tell you.

We are in a recession where skilled, qualified people are losing their jobs and can’t get new ones. It’s not that I’m bitter about not being able to get a job in journalism, I decided not to follow up on my training for personal reasons, but there are a lot of people I went through journalism with that couldn’t get jobs in the industry. So I’m annoyed that someone with no skill or training is getting offered a job like that.

Also she lied and is now getting rewarded for it. Does no-one else see the ridiculousness of giving a proven liar a job reporting the ‘truth’., she simply has no credibility, though there is much debate about the credibility of current affairs reporting.

Sure when it came out that she lied she got a lot of venom spat her way but that still doesn’t mean she should be rewarded for what she did. You can bet if she didn’t look pretty on camera – if she was a normal sized woman without makeup, or a larger woman, that her statement wouldn’t have gone to air, she certainly wouldn’t have got the air time she did and definitely not been offered a job. Let’s face it though it did make for good tv, she looked good and the words that came spouting out of her mouth were clichéd and racist.

I’m thinking that it seems in this day and age 15 minutes of infamy is a pretty lucrative step.

No comments: