Friday, February 11, 2011

Story From The News

Switzerland are having a gun control referendum. They aren't doing this because of many gun crimes and it does fly in the face of their national history. Here's what I got from the story I read and I will freely say this blog comes only from that not some extended research, one of the reasons they want such massive changes is because they have a high suicide by firearms rate. So I found myself asking, really?
Do they really think removing guns from the equation is going to solve the real problem? Yes I suppose the easy accessibility to guns means if you feel the urge to kill yourself you can probably easily find one and pull the trigger, this however ignores so many aspects of suicide. Guns are not the problem, nor are they the only way to kill yourself. Suicide is indicative of deeper things in society than gun legislation. Of all the things I could list here I don't think legal gun ownership would make my list.
Please we need to focus instead on the underlying issues and not the method of execution. If someone is down enough to contemplate suicide they will find a way. So let's see instead if we can offer a hand to help them up, a shoulder to lean or cry on and the words to show light and hope to those who feel trapped in the darkness.

No comments: