Saturday, February 5, 2011

Seeing The Why

Life has been busy the last few weeks. In some ways you wouldn't have thought so, what with so little going on at work. However I'm sure they would frown upon me sitting in a corner somewhere writing. So instead I've done things like alpha the colouring books. Sure there are plenty of books I could order if they let me, I'm not even half way through putting my wish list together and it's four pages long. Work isn't where I've been busy, it is just something that takes up a bunch of hours every week.
Truthfully I realised some stuff during this time. Most notably that God sometimes allows us to see the why of something.
So to give some vague info to put that statement into context...
There is a friend of mu hubby's who I don't get along with very well. A while ago he said some really harsh things about me, I want my hubby to get in his face and tell him what he said was unacceptable. Sure I can fight my own battles but that's not really the point, sometimes you just want someone to take your side. He didn't. I understood his reasoning for not saying anything but the message it sent me was that he valued his friends possible hissy fit reaction more than my feelings. Unfortunately understanding his reasons didn't make the feeling go away.
It all came to a head last weekend where we had to attend an even together. He apologised to hubby for the things he'd said and done and hubby told him he should never have said those things in the first place. I wasn't directly involved in the conversation but found I didn't need to be and now after a bit of discussion the air has been cleared between hubby and me. The other guy still isn't my fave person but it bothers me much less now when the guys get together.
Then this week something really bad happened and my hubby's friend really needed him. I'd hate to think what this guy would be going through without hubby being there for him to talk to and I don't begrudge the friendship. While I was out running it became clear to me that if I'd pushed the issue the situation would be quite different. I'm not sure that would be a good thing,
So sometimes we need to choose to go with the wisdom of someone we trust even when we don't like it or it hurts us because in the long term it is what will work out for the best. The thing we need to remember is that sometimes we don't get to see how it all fits together like I was able to in this case.

No comments: