Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

Today is my birthday, and in honour of that I’m going to write straight through without really editing.
I’ve been thinking about my birthday a bit, the fact I’m 35 and what my life is like. Is this where I thought I’d be? I can only answer I don’t know. Do I want more? Definitely. Am I happy? Yes.
There is a lot included in just those three questions. I tried to think about where I thought I’d be now, when I was younger but I’m not so sure I ever really had set goals. I tend to set goals closer than that and try not to think about the future too much. That of course doesn’t mean I don’t dream. I just don’t dream by halves and they aren’t that concrete.
I think my goals aren’t so much about a final destination as they are about the things I accomplish along the way. So let’s have a quick look at that. I have traveled and even lived overseas, I haven’t been everywhere I want to go but I’m not dead yet. I have written two novels – okay so they aren’t published but they have been written and I’m working on that next bit. I am married to a wonderful man and have two beautiful girls. I have just finished a theatre show, my first in three years and proved to myself I can still do it. I have friends all over the world. And here’s a big one, none of the hurdles or great ditches that have been in my path have beaten me or caused me to give up hope. In the hardest and blackest times I’ve somehow managed to come out the other side.
Do I want more? Well who doesn’t? I guess though that people just want different things. I would like a house of my own, the space to have a studio and a study/library. I’d like not to have to live from paycheck to paycheck. I’d like to be published and to do films and more theatre. I want to be a person who is there when people need her. I want to be a great wife and mother. I want to continue to grow as a person. I don’t want to allow negativity and bitterness find root in my spirit. I want to continue to hope and overcome. I want to find my place, my individual path through life and travel it with honesty, integrity and yes, success. I want to hear those words when I reach that finish line ‘well done good and faithful servant’. Interesting to notice that not everything on that list is material. In fact the things most likely to contribute to me being a happy or content person aren’t. Though where does making a living from my passions fit – is that material?
Anyway moving right along. Am I happy? Yes…and no. I love my family. I am able to write and perform both things I love and can get grumpy if I can’t do. My life experiences have put me in places where I have been able to help some people out at various times. I think though the ‘no’ is important for without the ‘no’ I wouldn’t move forward, in fact I probably wouldn’t go anywhere. The ‘no’ is what provides my motivation, and brings me right back to the previous section of wanting more. The ‘no’ reminds me that I am not at the end, I am still on the journey and there is still so much to do.
So it seems I do have goals and being as it’s my birthday I’m going to throw an invitation out there – if you can help me take any steps closer to any of these please feel free to do so.
- House with studio (recording)
- Publishing deal
- Performing contract
- Advice on how to get my hubby to want to do housework
- Advice on how to get me to want to do housework
- Any encouragement for anything

Failing any of that dvd’s and books are always welcome, though I could probably do with a computer upgrade and a make over (myself and my wardrobe) more.

No comments: