Friday, July 18, 2008

Hatred and Bitterness


I read a blog a couple of days ago that didn’t quite leave me speechless, not much actually does that, but it did provoke me. I found this blog when cruising a fan group of one of my favorite shows. Yes without shame I admit I really like television and films, (let me clarify, shows with actors in them). Anyway this blog rips apart episodes of this show – which while I find that interesting is of no real consequence here. What is more interesting is the venom that just about spits off the page directed not only at the fictitious characters but also at the creator and writers of the show, eventually degenerating into a personal attack on the creator and his wife, people it would be fairly safe to assume the female writer doesn’t know personally.
Bemused I read further and could come to only one conclusion, this girl had been very, very hurt by men. Hatred of everything and everyone male burns off the page. Not just in regards to pop culture where for her a man in drag, or a military woman calling her commanding officer ‘sir’ is demeaning to women (the list goes on), she also spews out on the violence perpetuated by men on women and children. The latter is something I think should be considered terrible according to anyone’s personal paradigm, however she completely ignores the crimes perpetuated by women. Sure the numbers may be different but any number is horrible. Just because someone does something terrible doesn’t mean we can tar everyone of that race, faith or gender with the same brush.
I have no doubt that she would hate me without even knowing me simply because I am about to defend men. I feel I have to…no I want to, because most of the men I know do not deserve the venom she is spitting out.
Men are capable of caring for and loving children appropriately. Men are capable of loving and caring for a women. Not all heterosexual sex is rape. These statements of mine are in direct opposition to statements of hers.
My husband isn’t perfect, he’d be the first to agree but then again neither am I. We’ve both done things we’re not proud of, most of us if we’re honest probably have. Yes I cook for my husband but I like cooking and quite honestly he’s not that good at it, unless it’s BBQ. Yes I do the washing and stuff but he could and would if I really wanted him to and we’d run out of clean clothes. He does other things for me which I view as far more important. He changed jobs so I could pursue my passions; he supports and encourages me even when things don’t turn out the way we want them to in our wildest dreams. He is the best father I know. He stands by my side, he doesn’t dominate, denigrate, hate or rape me.
Men aren’t perfect, neither are women and neither sex is wholly responsible for the state of things. And to advocate wholesale hatred at one or the other is wrong and sad.
Bottom line I feel sorry for this girl. I can’t imagine living with so much hate in me. I can’t see how you can be so spiteful and bitter and still enjoy life. I can’t imagine being so narrow minded that I cannot allow for diversity in race, gender, faith or thought. There is probably no-one who knows me who agrees with me all the time and I’m okay with that. In fact it’s a good thing really because it encourages me to think things through better or differently and the even learn and grow.
That much hatred has to spring from somewhere. Interesting to note that one of the words in her blog title is poison, because that’s exactly what I see when I read her work. It is spreading out and poisoning others yes but unlike the venom animals carry in their bodies hatred spreads slowly and kills the host body. Living with hatred closes ourselves down to so many things. For this girl it is the beauty of a marriage as a marriage is meant to be; and the power of the love a father has for a child, or a man can have for a woman or a woman can have for a man. Many things that I see and experience and make my life richer.
Sometimes I wonder if I focus too much on the negatives in my life and then I read something like this and I realize I have so much to be thankful for and that I really don’t focus on the negatives all that much. It also serves as an incredible reminder to make sure I don’t allow hatred to take root in me at all because once you do it can spread and take control of your life. Even if you think you’re in control you’re not – the hatred is. Hatred gives the control of our lives over to the hands of others, you live on the back step blaming and finding fault, surely it is a dark and unhappy place to live. Hatred is vile and sneaky and destructive and more than anything it is why we need to live our lives practicing forgiveness.
Which will be the topic of my next blog.

No comments: