Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day


It was mother’s day yesterday and while this post would perhaps have been more appropriate posted then it’s getting done today. I’m a mother, I was having as much of a day off as possible.

My focus however isn’t so much on me.

I miss my mother, it’s been nearly six years since she died and there are days I really wish she was still here so I could share with her. You know just sit and have a coffee and talk, it doesn’t have to be about anything important. I miss the connection. I’m sad she never got to know my girls.

I have my two girls whom I love immensely and bring so much joy into my life. I love watching them grow. Each stage brings with it something else to enjoy, even when it can be frustrating. I hope and pray that I am up to the task of raising them to be the best ‘them’ they can be, and that my quirks don’t mess them up too badly.

Then I got to thinking about young women, the rise in crime  among females and the rise in single young mothers we are seeing. If you are a regular reader of my blog you may realise that these are things very close to my heart. It saddens me to see so many young women, girls really trying to grow up so fast and destroying their lives. There is so much of self and want and in some ways so very little of giving that I wonder what effect this is going to have on the woman of the future. I wonder what she will look like? In some ways the possibilities scare me. But I know there is always hope.

So to all you mothers out there, for all the good days and the tough ones I salute you, and pray for wisdom in raising your children.

No comments: