Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Another Chance

In the middle of writing, yes I’m working on another novel - I know I’ll get published one day, anyway I got to thinking about people we know who seem to get all the breaks. These guys treat people like crap, run businesses on the iffy side of ethical, throw away opportunity after opportunity and they always seem to land on their feet. They get great deals, people throw money at them, and other great opportunities come their way… And I get frustrated and if I’m honest totally annoyed.

It’s like these people can’t do any wrong. I doesn’t matter whom they trample on in the process it still falls their way.

On the other hand my hubby and I try everything creatively, we even tried giving up and living a ‘normal’ life only to discover that for us that worked ever less then when we work our butts off creatively.

So in a moment of honesty with God, let’s face it there’s not really any point in lying to Him anyway, I was having a ‘hands-thrown-in-the-air-what’s-going-on-what-do-we-need-to-do’ moan, when I had an epiphany. (I love that word).

Is not God the God of another chance? Who am I then, to say when those chances should run out? I want God’s best for me, and if I step back and let go of my selfishness and frustration I see squandered possibilities. I honestly feel a little sad that God’s best for them is being missed. Truthfully I don’t know God’s mind and heart for these people except that he loves them. I can’t say I know what His best for them is or was, I just see the missed possibilities and I wonder… I see someone perhaps deluding themselves that the mask they show people is the truth; I see someone running themselves ragged in the pursuit of the mighty dollar; I see someone else using others as a crutch and excuse. I feel sad at the missed possibilities.

Then I turn my eye to myself. I’m not where I hoped to be by now, but to become a master craftsman takes many, many years and as a creative person I know I am still a journeyman. In fact my creative journey will hopefully take me beyond forever. I don’t yet have money, a house of my own or even the financial or critical success in my chosen fields but I still have a love of my art and the passion to continue pursuing it. I have the ability to feed my family on a shoestring budget (thank you God, thank you Mum). I have a hubby who knows, loves, supports and understands me and we have a rock solid relationship that’s built on honesty and trust. We have two beautiful girls who are the delight of our lives even when they won’t let us lock ourselves in our respective offices and work – irrespective of the muse.

You know what I’m pretty blessed. I also know I probably missed some chances God had for me and so I’m grateful God doesn’t stop at chance number 37 just because…

No comments: