Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brief Moments - 3


You Say, I Say

You say I am religious
When I say that I believe
You laugh at my convictions
My truth you will not see

You say that God cannot exist
With all that’s going on
I say that’s when I need Him most
For only He can make me strong

You see it as a weakness
When I say I have faith
You think I think I’m better than you
But I’m only here through God’s grace

You say you do not see the point
Life’s fine just where it’s at
I say He’ll still be here for you
When you want more than that



Prodigal

I said goodbye
Turned my back on you
Struck out on my own
Looking for things to do
I wanted to taste
The forbidden fruit
It didn’t matter to me
That I broke your heart

Things worked out
For a while at least
Then it all appeared
To come apart at the seams
Face first in the gutter
Left all alone
Ashamed and confused
Crying for home

Dragging my feet
I headed where I’d begun
Not sure of the reception
For this prodigal son
But you ran out to meet me
Miles from home
And welcomed me back
With open arms




Listen

In the hustle and the bustle
Of the working week
It’s easy to forget
To listen for God to speak

There’s so much background noise
Every place we go
So many things to do
We seldom take it slow

We want God to reach out to us
As long as it fits with all of this
Our focus remains on other things
We forget the soft, still voice is His

Why do we think the King of Kings
Should do things on our terms?
We’ve become arrogant not humble
Will we ever learn?

No comments: